Tuesday, 1 August 2017

A Ficlet: The Happy Ending.

Hello everyone! So, those of you who know me - or have at least seen my tweets - know I'm a huge huge fan of Melinda Salisbury's The Sin Eater's Daughter trilogy. You may know that I also ship Merek and Twylla from this series very much. Major spoilers below!

This past weekend I was lucky enough to be able to attend YALC - the Young Adult Literature Convention - and met up with Mel once more. In my rambles about how much I loved the final book, The Scarecrow Queen, Mel revealed to me that the two characters do end up together in the end, maybe ten years or so from the book's close. So, with this in mind as I was caught in a post YALC slump yesterday, this little scene came to mind and I thought I'd share it with you all. It's very short but I hope you all like it.

The Happy Ending

"Do you, Merek Belmis, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, and promise to stand at her side in the ruling of Auremere?"
He squeezed her hand. She was radiant. A pure white dress inlaid with thousands of strands of green, blue and gold fit snug to her frame; a shimmering crystal sea. In place of any veil was her simple yet equally elegant crown. Her eyes sparkled with delight as they met his own, and his heart almost burst with joy.
He'd been in love with her since the day he laid eyes on her.
"I do."
"And do you, Queen Twylla Morvern of Auremere, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, and to have him by your ruling side?"
She squeezed back.
"I do."
"Then by the power vested in me by the kingdom of Auremere, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss."
In that second he swept her into his arms, kissing her as if his life depended on it. He knew it now probably did.
"Ladies and gentlemen of the court, I present to you Queen Twylla Morvern and Prince Merek Belmis."
The cheers were a boom of joy throughout the chapel.
"May Daunen watch over you both."

As she stepped first into the awaiting carriage, she turned and smiled at him. "I never imagined it like this."
He raised an eyebrow as he stepped in behind her. "You imagined it?"
She blushed furiously, looking to the window. "Well, you... We were."
"I'm joking love."
She sighed lightly, though still smiling, and leant into him as the door shut beside them. "Everything with Leif and then you were... You were dead. And then you weren't, and I... How could I have imagined this?"
"Psychic powers?" His smirk sent her heart beating wildly.
"And you were King."
"Now you're Queen."
She grinned. "Yes I am."
"But you're happy? Even if you didn't imagine it like this?"  He pressed a kiss to her temple, and her lids fluttered shut.
"Couldn't be happier."
"I love you, my Queen."
"I love you too, my Prince consort."
His laughter was like music on the air.

As always do feel free to let me know your thoughts in the comments below or @ me on Twitter. Thanks for reading!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment