Saturday, 17 June 2017

Saturday Series: YALC - Why Go?

In the first of a new series of posts, I'm writing about the UK's only YA convention. I'm of course talking about YALC - the Young Adult Literature Convention. I am in no way affiliated with the event, I'm just an avid YA reader and lover who adores attending this event and wants to spread some knowledge for those who may be unsure about going or are nervous about attending for the first time. This will be the third time I've attended but the first time I'll be attending for the whole weekend, so these posts are just as much for me as they are for you! I do hope you enjoy them!

First up, why is it worth going?

With over 100 authors attending you'd be mad to miss out on all the inclusive signings, panels and group sessions running over the three days. This year they have former attendees and YA faves such as Melinda Salisbury, Taran Matharu and Victoria Schwab, plus debut authors like Chris Russell (Songs About a Girl) and Anna Day (The Fandom), as well as the incomparable Laini Taylor!

If you're still unsure, there's also the wonderful publishers attending; selling a wide range of books from their backlists, and maybe a few sneaky early copies too! They also run competitions throughout the weekend, give away fab swag, and have snazzy tote bags to boot. You might even spot an odd ARC competition or two.

Not to mention that any YALC entry ticket includes access to LFCC, the UK's largest comic convention. They've got so many media stars and artists attending its unbelievable. Personally I'll be there for Richard Dean Anderson and Christopher Judge, but there's sure to be someone for everyone.

Lastly and most importantly, you'll be surrounded by people with the same interests - people who understand. Who knows, you might even leave with a few new friends?

It's the book event of the year - a geeky spectacular - that should not be missed. I'll be there. Will you?

Thanks for reading! Be sure to pop back next week for my YALC TBR!

If you are attending do feel free to comment below and let us know who you're excited to meet. Or feel free to @ me on Twitter if you have any questions!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf

1 comment:

  1. I always hear about this book convention each year, and I am so excited for all who go! I also super love lots of the UK covers of books, and I am so jealous of everyone who attend this conference.

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete