Wednesday, 15 February 2017

A Quiet Kind of Thunder: A Day Without a Voice

Over the winter period bloggers were given the task by the lovely team at MacMillan (@MyKindaBook) of thinking about their life, in one day, if they didn't have a voice, for the release of A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard. I honestly had a tough time with this, being I've never even lost my voice to a cold, which is why my post is a little later than the book's release.

I suppose, thinking theoretically, it would really hurt not to have a voice, even just some of the time, because how would you know if and when anxiety might cause your voice to disappear, just like Steffi in the book? How can you know what you might be able to say and what you might not?

Steffi notes about hurting the bus driver's feelings by not being able to say thank you, and I would feel the same way. But moreover, what if I couldn't say 'I love you' to my mum and dad whenever I need to, or couldn't tell them to 'be careful' as they left for work?

I wouldn't be able to chat animatedly about books as I love to do, or thank authors for their fabulous work at signings. Shopping would be harder, unable to ask for a bookseller's recommendation or talk about titles we both enjoyed.

All in all, everything would be that much harder.

Most importantly I wouldn't have an opinion, because really what is an opinion without a voice?

But I think that all of this is what lends Steffi so much strength in the book. I haven't finished it just yet, but from what I've read so far, she is trying - fighting - to not let this beat her; to have as normal life as possible, including falling in love, and I just think that's a wonderful message by the author.

Have you read the book? How would you cope without your voice for just one day? As always do feel free to leave me a comment below, or @ me on Twitter, and thanks for reading!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf

No comments:

Post a Comment