Saturday, 28 January 2017

Review: Emma Hearts L.A. by Keris Stainton.

This book was a wonderfully cheery read from one of my favourite authors, Keris Stainton. Stainton is a wonderful author, both in person and in writing. Her books are always what I need when I'm sad or feeling down; light-hearted, funny, romantic. Emma Hearts L.A. was no different.




Emma's not sure that LA's for her, but when she accompanies her sister Bex to an audition, a chance meeting with a teen TV star starts to change her new sunshine lifestyle for the better... But what about Oscar, so far her only friend in LA, who's turning out NOT to be the idiot she thought he was?

Soon Emma begins to find herself torn between two boys and reconsidering her entire future.

Maybe LA's not that bad after all.





I found Emma to be a wonderful heroine, and someone I really related to. Though I've never lived farther than my own home town, my feelings would have been the same had I been in Emma's shoes. That said, I'm also a little jealous of the adventure she has, which is one of the reasons why I loved the story so much.

Emma's story isn't just fun or quirky, it's a story about growth and finding oneself. Although Emma starts nervous and unsure - though her path isn't smooth - she flourishes in L.A. and finds love along with it. As with Stainton's books, the love story in Emma Hearts L.A. is magical; a slow burn romance which swept me off my feet. Oscar is a true book boyfriend - not a wizard, demon or vampire -, sweet, smart, real. The relationship is not a tale of insta-love, but a real relationship that blossoms slowly but surely. It is simply beautiful.

Oscar himself also gave the book much of its fun and vigour. Many of the sweet lines that elicited my chuckles were from him. Oscar, in a way, was the light of the story; the light that shows Emma the way.

I also loved the way that Stainton portrayed L.A. showing its life, its vibrancy. It very easily bumped L.A. up on my travel list, conjuring vivid images of its energy as I read. Her writing is simply wonderful.

Have you read Emma Hearts L.A.? Is it on your TBR? As always do let me know your thoughts in the comments below or on Twitter!

Don't forget also to join the Beat The Backlist challenge here; Emma Hearts L.A. is my first read for it.

Thanks for reading!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf


1 comment:

  1. Yay. I'm so happy you read and loved this book! Thanks so much for linking to the British Books Challenge x

    ReplyDelete